Chilli Biltong and Balsamic Braai Broodjies
Makes 6 large or 9 small sandwiches
12 slices white bread or 9 soft rolls
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 red onions, sliced
1 teaspoon honey
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
½ cup freshly sliced chilli biltong, finely chopped
1 cup cream cheese
1 cup strong cheddar cheese, grated
butter for spreading
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the onions until soft. Turn the heat down to low and add
the balsamic, honey and thyme. Cook for a further 5 minutes until the onions are sticky.
Allow to cool.
- In a bowl, mix the chopped biltong, grated cheese and cream cheese together to form a
paste. Add a little salt and pepper if it needs.
- Spread the outside of the slices of bread or rolls well with butter.
- Spread a thick layer of the biltong mixture on the inside of the rolls or the inside of 6 of the
bread slices. Top the cream cheese with some of the balsamic onion mixture. Make a
sandwich with the other 6 slices of bread.
- Place the sandwiches/rolls into a hinged braai grid and braai over a low heat, turning
regularly, until the bread is toasted on the outside and the cheese in the centre has melted.
- Serve immediately. For a little extra spice, serve with a drizzle of chilli oil.