Mushroom Cream Sauce with Biltong
This sauce is fantastic poured over a grilled steak or tossed into some pasta as a sauce.
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
400g assorted mushrooms, thinly sliced
150ml beef stock
200ml fresh cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
100g sliced biltong, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley (optional)
- Melt the butter in a deep frying pan on a medium heat and cook the chopped onion until soft.
- Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Increase the heat to high and add the sliced mushrooms. Fry the mushrooms until soft.
- Lower the heat of the pan to medium and add the beef stock. Reduce the stock by half.
- Finally pour in the cream and stir in the mustard. Allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes until the cream reduces and the sauce thickens.
- Season well with salt and pepper and the chopped biltong.
- Stir in a little chopped parsley if you would like.